22 October 2007

Solar Decathalon




Over the weekend I had the opportunity to go to the Solar Decathalon in D.C. and it was amazing. I never realized how attainable a truly solar home was before this. And beautiful. Before attending the decathalon, I always thought that solar homes had to be uber-modern and sterile looking. Now I realize that they can be modern while still being organic, and amazingly functional. The houses were only 700-930 square feet, but they felt huge on the inside. Plenty of room for two or even three people to live comfortably. And with the modular style that a lot of the homes had, they could easily be expanded to fit a growing family. This trip has totally inspired me to go solar for my first home.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Okay, so I have to explain the washing machine pictured above. You see, it's actually a washer/dryer combo! I saw this type of machine for the first time at the Solar Decathalon, and was quite impressed. Ah, life's simple pleasures.